Apprenticeship many moons ago

 When the world was different and the Warsaw pact was still something people talked about and the cold war was in its heydays I started my 5 years apprenticeship it was in August 1980 and I really did took the devil in hand and promised to stay put for 5 years or leave now!! I got a small 1 bedroom apartment, food at work, chef cloths (I didn't need any civilian) no salary,  12 hours workday and free only on Sundays but still needed to serve lunch for the owners. 

I created a perfect environment and routine for myself during these years and my days was like this for 5 years.

12 h work with 1 hour break between service where I hade wine training

1 h running around the neighborhood as exercise

2 h cookbook reading (mandatory)

8 h sleep

1 h  divided in shower and cleaning apartment

All of this was strictly controlled and monitored  but I had no problem to adapt, in my mind I was sure that this would make me a stronger cook and push me way ahead of my same age group, I can tell you so many ridiculously funny stories and moments, now looking back I am still extremely happy for this time and cherish every moment.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger 

Below one of the few photos from this stumbling first year














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chateauneuf du Pape

Culinary competition in Egypt

Open Balkan & Wine vision